Sunday, November 4, 2012

Who Told YOU it was 50/50? By Susan Holman

Thirty-five years ago, I was not in the church. I was raised in a cult that I didn’t agree with, and married a man in a similar spiritual condition. Our relationship was based on the 50/50 principle. We entered into it with an ‘if-then’ attitude. You know, If you do this, then I will do that. That’s what we thought marriage was supposed to be. No one was happy. We were going through the motions but neither of us was willing to commit ALL to each other. We later divorced. 
 
It was after all of this that I found a true relationship with God.
 
I connected with a minister friend and he taught me about Jesus. He told me how He went all the way to the cross for me, and if that wasn’t enough, He then went to hell to leave my sins there, and on to heaven to prepare a home for me. Now that is 100% and He did that for me! 

A year later, I married that minister friend and have learned over the years that I, too, must give my all...to Christ and to the covenants I have made with Him. This time I knew my marriage had to be 100/100. We would both have to give our ALL. And when my husband didn’t FEEL like it, I still had to give my all. And vice-versa. 

You see, marriage is all about Jesus. Marriage is a covenant with God. It is not a contract.  It is not just a partnership with my spouse, it is a blood covenant with GOD!

HE expects me to fulfill it even to death! If I live for Christ, then I must keep this covenant! [Now I’m not telling anyone to stay in an abusive situation. There are times when you have to leave, but make sure you are considering your relationship with God. He doesn’t change His mind, even though we change ours!]

Covenant-keeping is never about our spouse. It is always about us! God never told the children of Israel to do anything IF the other party was doing right. They were simply told to do right! And then He spelled out what was right. It’s the same with marriage. YOU chose your mate. YOU made a covenant with GOD concerning YOUR role in that relationship! Not your spouse’s role.

God expects us to love unconditionally, WE must keep every vow we have made...Whether our spouse does or not. It’s not about ‘them’. It is about us. (We can’t change anyone but ourselves!)

50/50 is just a notion that man made up to excuse himself from doing what is right. No one will get to heaven with a half-way attitude. Let’s go ALL the way….and if both of you give 100%-100% of the time...your marriage will be blessed beyond imagination. Don’t just try to do right in some things. Do it in all things and live!

Have you ever seen a cat on a tree hanging on for dear life?  As you try to pry it off, he cleaves to that tree; fighting to hold on like his life depends on it. Cleave to your spouse, holding on for dear life. Forsake all others-No one is to come between you and your spouse, not your friends, or family.
 
If you are not yet in the Body of believers...You need God to help you every step of the way. Find Him now!!! HE will help YOU even if your spouse never seeks God for themselves!
 
Jesus came that we might have life...and that more abundantly, even in our marriages! God bless you always.

Your Sister in Christ,

Susan Holman

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment